Motherhood is considered as most pious feeling on earth. But the journey is not easy as a woman has to go through plenty of mental and physical changes that are not less than a rollercoaster ride.
Physical changes may visible to everyone, but the mental condition is ignored many times. Pregnancy and childbirth are commonly followed by sadness, worry, and anxiety for many women.
Many women struggle to find the energy to look after themselves, their children, and their families. Some people even consider harming themselves or their children. These could be signs of depression.
Postpartum depression occurs after childbirth, and Peripartum depression happens during pregnancy.
- According to studies, about 7% of pregnant women suffer from depression during their pregnancy.
- About 10-15% of new moms experience postpartum depression, which can persist anywhere from 6 months to a year.
Symptoms of PPD
Although PPD symptoms are very much similar to general depression, a woman may experience other symptoms as well:
- Experience continuous anger anxiety and irritation
- Don’t show much interest in baby
- Loss of appetite and sleep
- Crying over tiny things and unexplained sadness
- Feeling of Helplessness and hopelessness
- Underestimate self-worth
- Lost interest in favourite things
- Thought of injuring self and baby
As a result of a change in their typical schedule and greater financial responsibilities, fathers have recently reported feeling postpartum depression.
Fighting Postpartum and Peripartum depression with VR
The symptoms of postpartum and peripartum depression (PPD) are linked to a woman’s pregnancy. Cognitive-behavioural therapy (CBT) is an effective treatment for such mental conditions. Virtual reality proved very effective in Cognitive behaviour therapy. VR-CBT effectively helps in anxiety reduction, paranoia and improves everyday life.
A virtual reality app (VR) creates an interactive, 3D image or environment using the advanced display and immersive audio technologies. In the meanwhile, an augmented reality app (AR) overlays video and audio onto the physical world to give information and enhance our experiences. Virtual reality systems can transfer patients to relaxing or uplifting environments or guide them through a series of mental imagery exercises.
VRis intended to help females who are suffering from postpartum depression and want to overcome their negative emotions.Patients can relax their bodies and minds at any time of day by mixing tranquil 360 degree videos of natural scenery, music, and binaural sounds with well-validated meditation techniques.
A person who uses a virtual reality tool can learn and practise relaxation techniques in a variety of peaceful settings, which they can subsequently employ in stressful situations in their daily lives. As a result, consumers’ emotional well-being and quality of life can increase.
Benefits of Virtual reality therapy
- Virtual reality exposure therapy (VRET) is a low-cost, private treatment that allows therapists to control the simulations they use with their patients.
- The therapist can view what the patient sees in the virtual environment with VR therapy. This help to address the limitation of the patient.
- The therapist can select and tailored VR content for the patient. Patients can be guided through exposure in the office by therapists who can monitor and support them.
- Patients are interested, and the experience appears to be “real,” but it provides a safe way for patients to rehearse before confronting frightening stimuli in a real-world context.
- Virtual reality aids patient participation in treatment. Patients can learn and practise anxiety management techniques in relaxing virtual environments, which can also be utilised to enhance patient involvement in treatment and establish a positive therapeutic alliance.
Motherhood is a journey that requires a lot of patience and energy. But at the same time, a woman needs a helping hand and understanding surroundings.
We at Cognihab create new therapy suits to reach every need and improve life. You can visit our website cognihab.com to know more about our offerings.